Sipped for centuries in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony, ceremonial grade matcha is the highest quality green tea powder available. It is made from the youngest shade-grown tea leaves, with the stems and veins entirely removed. The leaves are stone-ground, which makes the matcha suitable for a thick-style tea. It is the perfect choice to use in the Japanese tea ceremony.
This premium grade matcha is vibrant green in colour with a smooth, refreshing, slightly sweet and mildly rich flavour, with a silky texture. It makes a delicious tea!
Our label includes instructions for both traditional and contemporary preparation. Matcha Tea is traditionally prepared in a matcha bowl, using both a bamboo spoon and a whisk. See our Matcha accessories.
Traditional instructions for preparation:
Daily serving size: 4 oz tea.
- Warm the matcha bowl by adding hot water. After a minute, discard water and dry bowl thoroughly.
- Rinse bamboo whisk to keep tea powder from sticking.
- Using a traditional bamboo spoon, add 1.5-1.75 spoonfuls of powder (1 regular tsp) per 4 oz serving
- Add approximately 4 oz of hot water (175-180 deg F). Do not use boiling water.
- Mix briskly with a bamboo whisk until all lumps are removed and tea is smooth and creamy with a fine foam on top. Drink and enjoy!
Contemporary instructions for preparation:
Daily serving size: 6 oz tea. Use 1 tsp. of matcha per 6 oz of water.
- Pour hot water (175-180 deg. F) over tea. Do not use boiling water.
- Steep 2-4 minutes.
- Strain and serve immediately.
Packaging: To preserve freshness, aroma, and potency, our 4 oz loose teas are packaged in a convenient stand-up pouch with re-sealable zipper closure.